Named literally for a 'market' on the Mures River and known as the city of roses, Targu Mures (Marosvásárhely in Hungarian ~ Neumarkt am Mieresch in German) enjoys the best of both Romanian and Hungarian cultures. Numerous vestiges attest the presence of Neolithic cultures and those of the Bronze and Metal Ages in this area. Archaeological diggings have brought to light Roman relics in the surrounding towns.
The town was first documented as ‘Novum Forum Sicolorum' (The New Market of the Seklars) in 1322. The first school appears in 1492. In 1786, the first printing shop is established and in 1802 count Teleki Samuel, chancellor of Transylvania, lays the foundations of the documentary library that bears his name to this day. The city received a major boost to its social and economic life in 1754 when it became the seat of the supreme court of justice of the Principality of Transylvania.
Targu Mures became a modern town in the second half of the 19th century. Today its centrally located Piata Trandafirilor (Roses Square) is lined with modern streetside cafes and restaurants, churches, and monuments. Targu Mures' top attraction is the Culture Palace (Palatul Culturii) with its outstanding stained-glass hall and housing some of main local museums.
- See more at: http://drupalcamp.ro/#sthash.i57sjOo1.dpuf